Saturday, March 13, 2010

PROS & CONS of Disk Defragmenter in Windows 7


by Bikash..








After a successful install of Windows 7 (32 bit) I had tested it for a few months.. I had said it before but I'll say it again.. Microsoft has a true gem on their hands this time around!! 


I love Windows 7 and hope that i'll install the Final Release version within a week as my DVD-RW is not working now.

Well there's thousands of things that differs Windows 7 from Vista. You Can read my previous post for that, but for now i wanna comment on the defragmenter in 7. It is vastly improved over Vista's in all aspects.. it's faster, seems to do a much better job and actually gives you a progress bar.. Total time to defragment my hard disk (110GB's) : less than 10 minutes!!!! :) I usually use a 3rd party defragmenter but I think this time around I'll be sticking with the Windows one.. until it gives me reason to think otherwise of course.. 
Well "where there're PROS there're CONS"(quoted by me :), i mean in in every application there're contrast areas but here it's not enough to replace it by any costly third party application.






PROS:

1. Provides users with more control over defrag jobs and shows detailed information about each job. You can also safely terminate the defragmenting process any time without any adverse effects.






2. Uses less time to defrag big size disks than the predecessor versions of Windows.

3. You can use the command prompt to defrag your disks with more options. (Read more..)
4. Simultaneously can defragment & consolidate free spaces of 2 or more partitions.
5. Time scheduling option: In Windows 7 it can be scheduled from within the Scheduler to run daily, weekly or monthly.
CONS:
1.   It lacks any kind of visual interface, which makes it little hard to know exactly what it's going on during the whole process.









1 comment:

Mrugesh Mohapatra said...

kool dude just keep it up!!!!!